Top 20 busiest airports in the US
These are the top 20 busiest airports in the US (with latest passenger numbers).
Read on for useful information on these busy air travel hubs – like popular destinations, local attractions, and airport parking.
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL): 75,700,000
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW): 62,500,000
- Denver International Airport (DEN): 58,800,000
- O'Hare International Airport (ORD): 54,000,000
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX): 48,000,000
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT): 43,300,000
- Orlando International Airport (MCO): 40,350,000
- Miami International Airport (MIA): 39,328,747
- McCarran International Airport (LAS): 38,731,496
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX): 38,445,290
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH): 37,657,993
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA): 37,073,558
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP): 36,427,513
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL): 36,385,944
- Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC): 36,328,962
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO): 35,846,999
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL): 35,807,261
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW): 35,194,858
- Tampa International Airport (TPA): 29,195,849
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): 29,108,103
Things to see and do at America’s busiest airports
With the US being one of the world’s most interesting, varied and stunning nations, its busiest airports are in striking distance of some seriously cool landmarks and activities.
For starters, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is near Georgia Aquarium (the world’s biggest), and the gorgeous green space of Centennial Olympic Park, a legacy of the 1996 summer Olympic games. Then at Dallas Fort Worth, you’ve got gridiron at A T & T Stadium (go Cowboys!) and for some somber history, the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza commemorates the assassination of JFK.
If LAX is your vacay launchpad, take a little time for stargazing on the Hollywood Walk od Fame or splash out on a Paramount Pictures movie studio tour. Meanwhile, motorheads love Charlotte Douglas International Airport because of its close proximity to the NASCAR Hall of Fame. And Orlando International Airport is on the doorstep of the world’s theme park capital, with the likes of Universal Orlando Resort and Walt Disney World Resort in easy reach, while Miami International Airport is in reach of the Everglades and glamorous South Beach.
With Space Center Houston (home of the NASA Johnson Space Center) on its doorstep, attractions near George Bush International Airport are out of this world, and Seattle-Tacoma International Airport has the Space Needle a manageable ride away, as well as scenic Bainbridge Island. Shoppers love the Mall of America (largest in the US) and stunning 53ft Minnehaha Falls – both reachable from Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport, and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport is within reach of some seriously brilliant beaches.
As you might expect, Salt Lake City International Airport is close to many buildings associated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but the wonderful Wasatch Mountains are in this part of the world too. And you’re spoiled for choice near San Francisco International Airport, with iconic sites like Alcatraz Island, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Don’t forget Philadelphia International Airport though – attractions near here include that icon of American values, the Liberty Bell, and the National Historic Park (site of the Betsy Ross House and Independence Hall.
If you’re flying from Tampa International Airport and need to fill in some time, don’t miss the awesome, African-themed, 335-acre Busch Gardens animal park, while JFK’s Big Apple blessings barely need mentioning, but include landmarks like the Statue of Liberty and lush Central Park.
Getting to the busiest airports in the US
For your GPS, here are the addresses of the busiest airports in the US:
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL): 6000 N Terminal Pkwy, Atlanta, GA 30320.
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW): 2400 Aviation Dr, DFW Airport, TX 75252.
- Denver International Airport (DEN): 8500 Peña Blvd, Denver, CO 80249.
- O'Hare International Airport (ORD): 10000 W O'Hare Ave, Chicago, IL 60666.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX): 1 World Way, Los Angeles, CA 90045.
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT): 5501 Josh Birmingham Pkwy, Charlotte, NC 28208.
- Orlando International Airport (MCO): 1 Jeff Fuqua Blvd, Orlando, FL 32827.
- Miami International Airport (MIA): 2100 NW 42nd Ave, Miami, FL 33126.
- McCarran Airport/Harry Reid International Airport, 5757 Wayne Newton Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89119.
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX): 3400 E Sky Harbor Blvd, Phoenix, AZ 85034
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH): 2800 N Terminal Rd, Houston, TX 77032.
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA): 17801 International Blvd, SeaTac, WA 98188.
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP): 4300 Glumack Dr, St Paul, MN 55111.
- Salt Lake City International Airport is 776 N Terminal Dr, Salt Lake City, UT 84122.
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO): San Francisco, CA 94128.
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL): 8000 Essington Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19153.
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW): 11050 W G Rogell Dr, Detroit, MI 48242
- Tampa International Airport is 4100 George J Bean Pkwy, Tampa, FL 33622
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): Jamaica, Queens, NY 11430.
Learn more about the USA’s top 20 busiest airports
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
You can fly from ATL to over 150 domestic destinations and 70 international locations in more than 50 nations. Popular choices include New York, Tampa, Orlando, Miami and Fort Lauderdale.
Dallas Fort Worth International Airport
Top choices for flights from DFW include Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York. You can fly from Dallas Fort Worth to international destinations like Cancun, Mexico City and Melbourne.
Denver International Airport
DEN has non-stop passenger flights to 209 destinations in 15 countries. Some of the most popular flights from Denver include Seattle, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.
O’Hare International Airport
Popular destinations for ORD travelers include New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Orlando, and Las Vegas. O’Hare runs over 800 direct flights every day to 150 cities in the US and 100 direct daily flights to 62 international locations.
Los Angeles International Airport
You can fly from LAX to a vast number of domestic and international locations – popular destinations include San Francisco, Las Vegas, San Diego, New York, and Seattle. And if you’re driving there, you’ll be pleased that there’s ample LAX parking.
Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Top destinations from Philadelphia, Chicago, Miami, New York, and Atlanta. This bustling airport flies non-stop to 182 destinations in 26 countries.
Orlando International Airport
Whether you’re flying from MCO to New York, Miami, Chicago, or Philadelphia, you can fly with confidence thanks to secure, cost-effective Orlando Airport parking options.
Miami International Airport
Popular MIA destinations include New York, Atlanta, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, and Chicago. And the parking at Miami International Airport is pretty good too.
McCarran (Harry Reid) International Airport
Los Angeles, San Francisco, Phoenix, Denver, and Seattle are popular destinations when Las Vegas is your launchpad.
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
You can fly from PHX to destinations including Albuquerque, Aspen, Atlanta, Charlotte, Fresno, Nashville, St. Louis and Yuma. And this well-connected airport also offers flights to international locations like Calgary, Culiacan, Monterrey, Saskatoon, and Vancouver.
George Bush Intercontinental Airport
IAH provides popular flights from Houston to the likes of Atlanta, Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Mexico City and Miami (MIA). If you’re driving there, you can choose from various George Bush Intercontinental Airport parking options.
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
SEA flies to 28 international destinations and 91 non-stop domestic destinations, including popular choices like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and Portland
Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport
The good news for drivers is that there’s ample MSP parking to choose from. You can fly from Minneapolis St Paul to 256 destinations with 17 carriers and popular destinations include Denver, Phoenix, Orlando, Los Angeles, Fort Myers, St. Louis, and New York.
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport
FLL is a top pick for flights to Atlanta, New York, New York, New York Baltimore-Washington, Boston, Chicago, and Charlotte. And there are lots of cheap parking options at FLL.
Salt Lake City International Airport
Considering flying from SLC? It’s a popular starting point for flights to Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Las Vegas (LAS), San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, and Dallas-Fort Worth.
San Francisco International Airport
Flying from SFO? Perpetually popular flights include Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, Chicago, and Las Vegas.
Philadelphia International Airport
Philadelphia is a popular base for flights to Atlanta, New York, Charlotte, Chicago, and Boston. There are flights from Philly to 240 destinations (102 domestic and 38 international.
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport
DTW flies to 119 destinations via 16 airlines and it’s a great place to buckle up and take off for Atlanta, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Minneapolis/Saint Paul.
Tampa International Airport
Considering a flight from Tampa? Lots of travelers like to fly from TPA to destinations like Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago–O'Hare, Denver, Baltimore/Washington, New York–LaGuardia, New York–JFK and Philadelphia.
John F. Kennedy International Airport
There’s lots of great parking at JFK and domestic and international destinations include Los Angeles, London, Miami, Paris, and San Francisco, Orlando, Las Vegas, Paris, Frankfurt, Rome and Madrid.