Headingley Car Hire
Find the best deals in Headingley
With a massive choice from the biggest brands, Enjoy the best way to find the best prices for car hire in Leeds Bradford Airport LBA.
- Huge choice of cars to suit every budget
- Save up to 70% compared to buying on the day
- 10 years experience in car hire
Compare Car Hire near Headingley
- Headingley is a large suburb in the north to north west of the city of Leeds with around 20,000 in habitants.
- Famous for its universities, students and bar culture, it contrasts modern and trendy restaurant and bar areas with miles of student digs.
- Also located in the Headingley in the Yorkshire cricket ground, home to the Yorkshire cricket team and Leeds Rhinos.
- Headingley is located just a couple of miles north of the city and runs north to north west for around 3 to 4 miles along Otley Road (A660).
- Leeds Pale Ale: Brewed by Leeds Brewery, which has been going a number of years and was one of the founders of the Leeds pale ale scene. This is a light and tasty, easy going true pale ale with ABV 3.8%.
- Kirkstall Pale Ale: Brewed literally down the road in Kirkstall Brewery, Kirkstall, this is a tasty, fruity pale and hoppy craft ale with an ABV of 4%.
- Transmission by North Brewing Co.: this strong and powerful IPA has an ABV of 6.9% and is locally brewed by North Brewing Co. in the Meanwood area of Leeds, which borders Headingley.
- Faith by Northern Monk: A Hazy Pale ale with an ABV of 5.4%, this originate in the south of the city centre in the Holbeck area. A range of flavoured IPAs and session pale ales are also available and served in pubs throughout the city.
- Ale House Arcadia: Specialists in local and craft ales, you're spoilt for choiceand could probably happily spend the whole evening there with so many to try. Many of the main local brands are served here on tap as well as certain obscure ones. A pleasant and cosy atmosphere, you can sit in our outside in the summer. Located at the northern point of the Arndale centre.
- The Box: a bus stop or a 3 to 5 to 10 minute walk from the Arndale centre, the Box offers a more mainstream feel with pool tables, cocktails and shots, Sky Sports and a large bar area over 2 floors.
- Woodies: Located at the top end of Headingley, close to the Becketts Park campus, this is a free ale house, offering a range of local and craft ales as well as mainstream ones, pool tables and a small beer garden.
- The Arc: The Arc has a modern and continental feel, whilst also offering food and wood fire cooked pizzas. A range of local and mainstream beers are on offer as well as cocktails and local gins. Through the day its a modern trendy cafe / bar, whilst in the evening it comes to life with a more night club feel.
- The Original Oak: No visit to Headingley is complete without a visit to the Original Oak. This is a traditional and long standing pub, which has stood the test of time. It has the largest beer garden in the area, often offering theme nights and BBQ events.
Getting to and from Headingley
Buses to and from Headingley
Headingley is to the north of Leeds City, and there are many buses running literally every few minutes in and out of the city. You'll have no problem catching a bus into the city centre from any part of the main Otley Road from early morning to late at night.
The main areas of Headingley include:
Headingley Arndale centre
This shopping centre has been in Headingley since the 1960s and is home to various shops, cafes and bars including Morrisons Local, Costa Coffee, Super Drug, Wilko and Pizza Express. Above the shops is a multi-storey car park, accessible from Alma Road just off Otley road to the north of the centre and the steps bring you out on Otley Road.
There is a bus stop directly outside the Arndale with into Leeds every few minutes that can take anywhere between 15 and 45 minutes depending on the traffic and time of day. The 1, 1A, 1B, 6, 27, 28, X84 and X85 all stop outside the Arndale.
Leeds Beckett Park Campus
Leeds has 2 large universities and has the 4th largest student population in the UK. Leeds University and Leeds Metropolitan University are the number 1 and 2 and amongst the largest in the country. The main university buildings are spread across the city, with Leeds Beckett University in the noth of Headingley and accessible from Otley Road (A660).
It's a 10 to 30 minute drive into the city centre and a 20 to 45 minute bus ride depending on the traffic. You could also walk it in 50 to 60 minutes, its an easy route down the A660 all the way into the north point of the city centre. There is also a Park & Ride facility close to Leeds Beckett Park.
Leeds Hyde Park
Arguably part of Headingley, Hyde Park is a built up area at its very southern point before entering Leeds city centre and Woodhouse Moor. The park itself, is arguable not part of Hyde Park and also known as Woodhouse Moor, which is a park that runs along both sides of Otley Road, and starts at the north point of the Leeds University campus. Its a short walk or easy bus ride into the city.
Housing in the Hyde Park area is dense and very tightly packed, with back to back terrance houses many of which converted into student shared accomodation.
Yorkshire cricket ground and Leeds Rhinos
Located adjacent to each other in the middle of Headingley and 5 minutes from the main Otley Road drag, the Emerald Headingley Stadium and Leeds Rugby ground are found. The easiest way to access them is by bus, getting off near the Arndale centre and the walking. You'll pass no less than 10 bars and pubs on the short walk!
Hiring a car in Headingley
The best place to hire a car from is in the city centre, where you will find Enterprise in Leeds train station, Hertz Leeds City just a few minutes walk away as well as Europcar on the outskirts.
A Guide to the Headingley eating out and nightlife
Headingley pubs and local craft ales
Headingley boasts one of the mostly tightly packed areas for pubs not just in Leeds but in the whole of the country. Will such a vast choice of pubs, bars and cafe's you're never more than 5 seconds from a local ale, glass of wine or coffee and sandwich.
What's more, during the last 10 years, Leeds has become a locally brewed, craft ale and craft gin epicentre, setting trends across the region and even the rest of the country, especially the north.
Leeds craft ales - short intro
Headingley pubs and bars
There are literally too many pubs and bars in Headingley to write about them all, so here's a top 5 worth a visit.