7 Hawaii Slang Words To Sound Like A Local
Here are 7 Hawaii Slang Words To Sound Like A Local
1. Grinds (Grindz) = Food or a meal out, frequently spelled with a z at the end, not s.
“Hey Brah, we go get da grindz.”
2. Chicken Skin = Goosebumps
“My cat was staring at a corner in my room and I got all chicken skin.”
3. Shoots = Okay
Shoots is slang for ‘okay’ or an acknowledgment. “We go to da beach, brah? Shoots!”
4. Lolo = Crazy or stupid
“Yo, brah, my faddah lolo!”
5. Broke Da Mouth (or Broke Da Mout) = From ‘broke the mouth’, meaning incredibly delicious food.
“Hey, da ‘ono grindz broke da mout!”
6. Wahine = Woman in Hawaiian or female
“That wahine can really surf!”
7. Kama’aina (KAH-mah-EYE-nah) = “Person of the land”; Long-time resident
The opposite of a malihini (mah-lee-hee-nee) – a newcomer!
Spending time in the state? Check out 7 Mind-Blowing Airbnbs For The Ultimate Hawaii Staycation.