The 50 Most Visited Cities In The World
This is the Most Visited Cities in the World 2018. See the Most Visited Cities in 2019 here.
Curious about how popular your country is as a holiday destination? Or maybe you’re in need of some holiday inspiration of your own – you can’t decide which city to visit. Well, we’ve got the world’s 50 most visited cities right here.
With more people now living in urban areas than not, the rise of the city has been powerful. Today, there are 33 megacities—cities with more than 10 million people living in them. Not only that, by 2030 there will be six more.
Asia has 41 out of the top 100 visited cities, making it a key player in global tourism
Euromonitor International’s city arrivals research covers over 600 cities, showing the most popular destinations across the world in 2018 (here are the top 10 most visited countries if you need that info). Here’s the top 50:
Most Visited Cities in The World
50. Cairo, Egypt with 4.388 million tourists per year
Cairo is growing fast in popularity, thanks to the region becoming more stable. Oh, and those famous pyramids of course.
49. Athens, Greece with 4.797 million tourists per year
Athens is a super base from which to explore the Greek islands and ancient architecture of Europe.
48. Moscow, Russia with 4.800 million tourists per year
Moscow is becoming a popular city to visit, with tourists flocking over for the beautiful squares and churches.
47. Florence, Italy with 4.941 million tourists per year
Florence is one of the most beautiful cities in Italy, with culture, amazing food and scenery all rolled into one.
46. Dublin, Ireland with 4.986 million tourists per year
Dublin may be small, but it’s also mighty. The Irish capitol packs a lot into its city and is a great place to spend a weekend. The most Instagrammable spots in Ireland.
How to get around Dublin:
45. Chennai, India with 5.086 million tourists per year
Chennai on the Bay of Bengal in eastern India, is a hugely busy IT and tech hub and will continue to rise.
44. Orlando, US with 5.269 million tourists per year
Home to Disney World and plenty of sunshine, Orlando is a winner with families and couples alike.
43. Madrid, Spain with 5.275 million tourists per year
Spain’s central capital is known for its rich collection of European art and elegant streets.
42. Jaipur, India with 5.288 million tourists per year
Jaipur – the ‘Pink City’ – is an exciting mix of classic architecture, bustling street markets and a 16th-century Royal Palace.
41. Venice, Italy with 5.316 million tourists per year
Venice is a stunning city of shaded Piazzas, romantic boat trips through the canals and luxurious hotels.
40. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia with 5.396 million tourists per year
, Saudi Arabia’s capital and main financial hub, has distinct landmarks and is becoming an exciting hub.
39. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam with 5.500 million tourists per year
Formerly Saigon, this southern Vietnamese city is a metropolis of history and culture.
38. Johannesburg, South Africa with 5.535 million tourists per year
Johannesburg is the largest city in South Africa and one of the 50 largest urban areas in the world.
37. Johor Bahru, Malaysia with 5.571 million tourists per year
With a bridge from the Straits of Johor connecting it to Singapore, this city is a great place to explore Asia from.
36. Berlin, Germany with 5.627 million tourists per year
Germany’s coolest city, Berlin enjoys steady levels of tourism from visitors across the world who want to experience its unique atmosphere.
35. Cancún, Mexico with 6.039 million tourists per year
Popular for Spring Break for US students, Cancun is also an ideal honeymoon destination.
34. Vienna, Austria with 6.067 million tourists per year
Vienna is a charming city, where legendary figures such as Mozart, Beethoven and Sigmund Freud all called home.
33. Denpasar, Indonesia with 6.238 million tourists per year
This is the largest city of the island of Bali, making it a trendy place for travellers to visit while they explore the Indonesian islands. One of the most visited cities on the planet.
32. Milan, Italy with 6.347 million tourists per year
The stylish fashion capital has incredible cathedrals, green city parks and a thriving food and drink scene.
31. Barcelona, Spain with 6.530 million tourists per year
Home to Gaudi’s iconic works of art, a scenic beachfront and cosy tapas bars, it’s no wonder Barcelona appeals to so many.
30. Osaka, Japan with 6.605 million tourists per year
Come to Osaka for its modern architecture, nightlife and hearty street food.
29. Agra, India with 6.644 million tourists per year
The closest city to the Taj Mahal, millions of people make the trip to see this majestic wonder every year.
28. Las Vegas, US with 6.687 million tourists per year
The party city shows no sign of slowing down, with casinos, upscale boutiques and luxury hotels all part of its pull.
27. Los Angeles, US with 7.165 million tourists per year
LA is a city for fitness fans, as well as celebrity hunters – or celeb wannabes – who hope to catch sight of a star.
Where to stay in LA?
hotels in LA? Check out where to stay in LA
26. Shanghai, China with 7.193 million tourists per year
Shanghai, on China’s central coast, is the country’s biggest city and a global financial hub.
25. Pattaya, Thailand with 7.426 million tourists per year
Phuket when there.
24. Seoul, South Korea with 7.659 million tourists per year
Seoul is a fun city where you can experience K-Pop, modern skyscrapers, high-tech subways and pop culture. A magic place and one of the most visited cities in the world.
23. Amsterdam, Netherlands with 7.848 million tourists per year
A wonderful city to explore – by bike, tram or foot – Amsterdam is a consistently popular choice.
22. Miami, US with 8.075 million tourists per year
The Miami area offers something for everyone – trendy nightlife, beaches, art galleries and world class food.
How to get around Miami:
21. Mecca, Saudi Arabia with 8.632 million tourists per year
Islam’s holiest city, (it’s the birthplace of the Prophet Muhammad and the faith itself), only Muslims are allowed to visit, and millions make an annual pilgrimage.
The top 20 Most visited cities in the world…
20 Prague, Czech Republic with 8.806 million tourists per year
Nicknamed “the City of a Hundred Spires,” Prague is an affordable option for many young travellers.
19. Mumbai, India with 8.984 million tourists per year
Mumbai is an exciting, busy city with a vibrant nightlife scene and colonial buildings.
18. Guangzhou, China with 9.004 million tourists per year
China’s third biggest city has internationally renowned restaurants, striking buildings and mountain views.
17. Taipei, Taiwan with 9.273 million tourists per year
Come to Taipei for its busy shopping streets and lively street-food scene.
16. Antalya, Turkey with 9.482 million tourists per year
A popular Turkish resort city, Antalya continues to be a popular pick for holidaymakers looking to relax in the sun.
15. Rome, Italy with 9.531 million tourists per year
Drink incredible wine, see the Vatican and the Colosseum in Italy’s must-visit city.
14. Tokyo, Japan with 9.549 million tourists per year
Super busy but super exciting, Tokyo offers a look into the future of what every city could be like.
13. Delhi, India with 10.157 million tourists per year
Made up of New Delhi and Old Delhi, this city never slows down. Enjoy the famous street food markets and buzz.
12. Istanbul, Turkey with 10.730 million tourists per year
Istanbul is the country’s economic, cultural and historic centre.
11. Phuket, Thailand with 11.613 million tourists per year
The island of Phuket has beautiful beaches, a pretty Old Town and five-star resorts, so it’s easy to see why so many people want to visit.
The 10 most visited cities in the world….
10. Shenzhen, China with 12.075 million tourists per year
Shenzhen links Hong Kong to China’s mainland and is a fantastic place to come to for designer shopping.
9. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with 12.843 million tourists per year
Home to the famous Petronas Twin Towers, the skyline here at night is unforgettable. One of the worlds most visited cities is well worth a visit.
8. New York City, US with 13.100 million tourists per year
Where to begin with the Big Apple? Each borough offers something different, from trendy Brooklyn to stylish Manhattan.
7. Dubai, UAE with 15.790 million tourists per year
Dubai has burst onto the tourism scene with fancy resorts, outstanding museums and shopping malls and a luxury vibe.
6. Paris, France with 15.834 million tourists per year
The City Of Love will continue to be one of the world’s most loved holiday destinations. Its biggest attractions? The Eiffel Tower and great cuisine.
How to get around Paris:
5. Macau, China with 17.337 million tourists per year
With the nickname, “Las Vegas of Asia”, Macau is a mega-popular casino city where everything is OTT.
4. Singapore, Singapore with 17.618 million tourists per year
Singapore is home to the world’s most Instagrammable hotel, an exciting mix of cultures and state-of-the-art restaurants.
3. London, UK with 19.827 million tourists per year
Big Ben, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace and means London stays front and centre.
Where to stay in London?
2. Bangkok, Thailand with 22.453 million tourists per year
A global hub that’s the gateway to the rest of Asia, Bangkok is famous for its Buddhist shrines, street shopping and local food.
1. Hong Kong, China with 27.880 million tourists per year
Hong Kong is a major shopping destination, famed for bespoke tailors and Temple Street Night Market.
Book your Transport around Asia with Bookaway here
Want to see more? Check out the World’s 10 Most Visited Countries in 2018
Discover the latest travel trends and news from across the globe with Big 7 Travel. From luxury hotels to city guides, we have the best things to do where ever you are.