Faro Airport Car Hire
Find the best deals in Faro Airport FAO
With a massive choice from the biggest brands, Enjoy the best way to find the best prices for car hire in Faro Airport FAO.
- Huge choice of cars to suit every budget
- Save up to 70% compared to buying on the day
- 10 years experience in car hire
Compare Car Hire at Faro Airport (FAO)
Looking for a car at Faro Airport (FAO)? With a choice of cracking deals from tried and tested car hire operators and the convenience of choosing in a couple of clicks online, Enjoy makes it easy. Select your favourite car from the comfort of your sofa, enjoy your flight, pick it up when you land and hit the road ̶ hassle-free car rental has arrived!
Also known as Algarve Airport, Faro Airport is situated 4km west of Faro in Portugal’s most popular tourist region. According to official statistics it processes over nine million passengers annually and its busiest months are June, July and August, when there are just under 7000 monthly commercial flights. The main carriers are Ryanair and Easyjet, which operate 23 and 19 routes from FAO respectively.
When Faro Airport was opened in 1965 it really accelerated tourism to the Algarve, with its close proximity to resorts like Vilamoura and Lagos as well as the beautiful beaches around Vale del Lobo. It has grown from strength to strength ever since and its busiest route destination is the United Kingdom, followed by Germany, France, Portugal, the Netherlands, Italy and Ireland.
Facilities and amenities as FAO are fab and you’ll find everything you need for a hassle-free travel experience. For instance, if you fancy a golf trip to the Algarve but can’t be bothered hauling your own clubs, you can hire a superb set from the outlet before security on the first floor, while the Living Spot is a comfy space to catch up with work and charge your mobile, there’s a bureau de change for exchanging currency before security on the first floor and a Santander Totta automatic service point in the same area where you can carry out basic transactions and operations (if you’re a customer of that particular bank).
Families are well catered for here too, with baby strollers available for use within the airport building, baby changing facilities before and after security and plenty of space for kids to relax and unwind with toys and games. There’s also free Wi-Fi throughout, so older kids and teens won’t miss out on chatting to friends, watching favourite shows and even making TikTok videos!
Faro Airport also offers the MyWay service for passengers with reduced mobility ̶ request this from your airline or travel agent when booking your trip or up to 48 hours prior to departure and you’ll receive support from specialist staff at every stage of your FAO journey.
If you find yourself flagging because your stomach is rumbling at Faro Airport, you’ll soon be feeling tip-top after sampling the fare at the fantastic cafes and restaurants here. Grab your caffeine fix at Costa or Café Central, tuck into a whopper at Burger King, enjoy an ice-cold beer at the Carlsberg Sports Bar or treat yourself to French-style sweet treats at Paul patisserie.
When you pick up your car at FAO (please remember to drive on the right-hand side of the road here), Faro and the rest of the Algarve resorts are clearly signposted and Enjoy partners with a range of local and international car hire providers like SurPrice car rentals, Luz Ocean Drive, PAA, Keddy, Dollar and Alamo, so you can usually expect reassuring rental agreements with components like 24-hour assistance, theft protection and third party liability. With such a wide range of car hire operators, there’s naturally a wide range of vehicles to choose from ̶ you could choose a sporty Nissan Juke SUV, a chic and compact Volkswagen Up, a robust Citroen C4 Cactus, or even a smooth-driving Seat Ibiza Sports Tourer which has plenty of room for baggage in the boot.
Arranging your Faro Airport car hire is easy with Enjoy ̶ drop your dates and details in our search engine and you’ll have brilliant deals to choose from before you can blink. Read on for more information on driving around the Faro area.
Driving in and around Faro Airport
Hire a car and Enjoy driving in Faro
Driving in Portugal isn’t too dissimilar to driving elsewhere in mainland Europe (but if you’re a Brit, remember that the major difference is that you drive on the right side of the road!), however there are always a few differences to your home driving environment, so proceed with caution and always be aware of your surroundings. If you’re vehicle is fitted with a Satnav this can be useful, but you can also tune in to Kiss FM on 95.8 and 101.2 ̶ this English-language station is broadcast from Albufeira and will keep you up to date with traffic news (as well as top tunes).
Speed limits in Faro and the rest of Portugal are as follows: 120 km/h on the motorways, 100 km/h (60 mph) for expressways, 90 km/h (50mph) on other roads and 50 km/h (30 mph) for built-up areas.
Here are a few more tips for driving in the vicinity of FAO and the Algarve:
- Speed traps are common, so don’t be tempted to break the speed limit, even although you’ll probably see local drivers doing so.
- When driving you have to carry an international driving licence, passport, insurance documents and car hire documents.
- Using your phone while driving is illegal unless it’s a genuinely hands-free system.
- Wearing seatbelts is required by law in Portugal and standard EU laws apply to children too young to use belts ̶ they must use a car seat or another type of legally compliant device that’s suitable for their size and age.
- Rock falls and other hazards are fairly common on rural areas so please be aware of this when you leave urban locations.
- If you’ll mainly be driving in small towns (like Alvor for instance), it’s best to choose a compact or mini-sized car as the roads can be very narrow.
- The A22 is a well-maintained motorway that runs east to west across the entire Algarve and although it does have tolls, they’re worth paying because it’s often the most convenient away to travel between resorts and other sightseeing spots. Many hire cars are fitted with transponder units that record when you drive through toll bridges and automatically deduct pre-paid credits or tally the charges so that you can pay them back to the rental provider when you drop your vehicle off on the way home. Check whether your provider offers this service.
A useful guide to Faro and the Algarve for FAO car hire customers
Faro is an excellent launchpad for exploring the rest of the Algarve and many roads here are a dream to drive. Here are a few road trips you might want to add to your itinerary:
Exploring the Algarve by car is great fun
- Drive 10 minutes east of Faro and you’ll reach the stunning Ria Formosa, which is a lovely series of lagoons and sandbanks between the coast and the Atlantic ocean that’s a haven for birdlife like flamingos, cranes and egrets, as well as sea life like crabs, oysters and octopus. You can kayak here or take a thrilling trip on a catamaran, but it’s also a serene spot to simply watch the sun set.
- For something a little different, drive around 20 minutes north west of Faro along the Estrada Nacional 125, E01 into the interior of the Algarve and you’ll reach Loule, a charming town with a magnificent Moorish castle and serpentine streets and alleyways that hide cafes, boutiques and craft workshops. There’s a covered market where you can bag bargains on everything form local food and drink to shoes and handbags, and on Saturdays the farmer’s market extends your eclectic shopping choices even further.
- Tavira is around 20 miles east of Faro on the Gilão river and you can reach it in around 35 minutes via the A22 motorway. Dubbed ‘the prettiest town in the Algarve’, it comprises ancient whitewashed buildings with terracotta roofs, stunning churches with dreaming spires, cobbled streets and pastel-coloured fishing boats bobbing in the harbour breeze. Don’t expect wild nightlife here, but it’s the ideal spot for a romantic meal or a relaxed afternoon drink.
It’s evident that Faro Airport is packed with premium facilities for any holidaymaker and you’ll be well looked after whether you’re here for business or pleasure. FAO is also your gateway to the many delights of the Algarve, not the least of which is the pleasure of the open road in beautiful surroundings.
Hire a car at Faro Airport from enjoy and get ready to roll in one of the world’s most wonderful locations, where sun, sea, sand, history and hospitality fuse in a heady mix that’s unforgettable.
Got a Question? Chat with our UK support team
Online chat help is open 08:30am to 17:00 weekdays. Email: email@example.com