Galway Car Hire
Find the best deals in Galway
With a massive choice from the biggest brands, Enjoy the best way to find the best prices for car hire in Galway.
- Huge choice of cars to suit every budget
- Save up to 70% compared to buying on the day
- 10 years experience in car hire
Compare car hire in Galway
Galway is considered by many as Ireland’s most charming city. It is small enough that you can explore on foot but there is plenty to do, ranging from culture and history to amazing restaurants and fantastic independent shops. It is situated in the west of Ireland, on the Atlantic coast on the edge of the salmon-packed River Corrib.
There are several pick up locations to collect your rental vehicle from. The closest to the city is our partner, Enterprise, which is located in Downtown Galway with prices starting at about €22 / £20 per day. Alternatively, if you are arriving by airplane, we work with several partners at Dublin Airport, Knock and Shannon Airport, which are all within a 2 hours and a half drive from Galway. The cheapest pick up point is Dublin Airport with prices starting from €10 / £9 per day or €11 / £10 per day for an economy size car, big enough for the whole family !
Guide to Galway
Galway was once a small fishing village and is now a compact, buzzing city with plenty of culture and things to do. Galway grew in medieval times when it became a prosperous walled town which was ruled by a collection of merchant families, the Tribes of Galway.
What to do in Galway
There is so much to do in the happening city whether it be unearthing the local history and heritage at the Galway City Museum overlooking the Spanish Arch or feasting on the local delicacies at the market opposite St Nicholas’ Medieval Church, damaged by the troops of Oliver Cronwell in the 1650s. It is also worth venturing out of Gallway to explore the surroundings, such as Salthill seaside suburb where the 2km promenade takes you along the Atlantic Coast. The city is also home to many festivals such as Galway International Arts Festival in July or the International Oyster Festival in September.
Eating out & Drinking in Galway
Galway has become a hotspot for anything foodie from cafes to fine dining restaurants, whether you fancy a quick bite to eat or a sit down dinner at the Michelin-starred Loam and Aniar. Do not miss out on trying the incredible oysters, fresh from the Atlantic Ocean, for which the region is famous for. Similarly, Galway is renowned for its lively pub scene, where a pint is accompanied by traditional music, whether it be Tigh Neachtain on Cross Street or Murphy’s and Garavan’s.
Unfortunately, there is no airport in Galway itself but this does not mean that it is difficult to get to ! The city is incredibly close to Ireland West International Airport at Knock and Shannon International Airport, which are only about an hour’s drive . Dublin is also fairly close, the airport being just 2.5 hours drive away. Once you get to the city, you can explore the city on foot and will only need a car for any adventures outside of the city !
Top Tips when hiring a car in Galway
● A great number of users encountered rental cars in Galway for less than £55 per day.
● Booking your rental car in Galway in advance even if it's by at least 1 day before your trip ensures you'll get cheap car hire deals.
● In Galway car hire economy rental car models are much cheaper than other comparable car types.
● While going for a car rental vehicle at the Shannon International Airport, and in general in most Airport locations consists of the cheapest car hire in Galway, it's also very convenient if you're form of arrival in the city.
● The car hire companies in the arrivals terminal offer very competitive car hire prices and rental office location is more accessible than those found in the city centre.
● The car hire company at the Airport will also allow you to get your rental car started as soon as you land as their car park is right next to the terminal. All you need to do is book in advance and contact car rental before you arrive.
● Then you're free to explore the whole county. Galway is full of places to explore, and if you're traveling with family you'll want to go for a Van hire.
● Once you arrive at the pick up location and get your hire car, it's recommended you drive around the city and see the Galway City Museum, the Galway Ballybane Industrial Estate, the Galway Motor Park and the West Coast.